The start of the new year is an opportunity to check the condition of your wardrobe and take the necessary steps to prepare it for another year of wear. It is also a good time to commit to improving the condition of our skin as well as trying new things. Here’s a list to help you start the year right.
1. Give away clothes not worn in the last year and those that don’t fit well. If you haven’t worn them in the last year chances are you won’t be wearing them this year.
2. Repair clothes with worn out areas and replace missing buttons. Got a pair of jeans with a crotch blowout waiting to happen? Repair it before it becomes a hole.
3. Bring clothes overdue for an alteration to an alteration expert. There might be a shirt or two that you’ve been wanting to take in. Now’s the time to do that.
4. Throw away old underwear and socks. Replace them with new ones. My picks are UNIQLO for underwear and MUJI for socks.
5. Clean and condition shoes. Put shoe trees in them. Use a horsehair brush regularly to remove dirt and prevent them from setting in the leather. If your shoes are extra dirty use saddle soap to give them a thorough cleaning. Apply conditioner to keep the leather soft and supple. And start using shoe trees to prolong their lifespan.
6. Skin becomes dry as we get older. Moisturize and use sun protection. If you’re lazy there are all-in-one products like VMV Hypoallergenic’s Smart Moisturizer.
7. Be bold and try something different. Flowers are going to be big in Spring/Summer 2014. See an example of how I pull it off.
8. Expand your budget and buy better. Double the budget you’d normally spend on an item. You’ll have an item that looks better and lasts longer. You’ll get more compliments too.
9. Have something custom-made. Suit. Shirt. Shoes. Pick one and start the journey of enjoying items made for you.
10. Join one of the Menswear Syndicate Meetups. You’ll meet me and a lot of other cool people. Heads up: There’s one happening on January 14, 2013.